Main Article Content
Keywords : synthetic measures, institutional efficiency of a municipality, local development, regression analysis, Pearson’s correlation coefficient
As the socio-economic reality is growing increasingly complex, the role of local governments in the management of events and processes occurring in local communities gains importance. Considering the fact that the basic task of local authorities is to stimulate the growth and development of a given local entity, an analysis was undertaken to the aim of assessing the relationship between the level of local development and the institutional efficiency of local self-governments and vice versa, in a regional approach (NUTS 2). To achieve this aim, mixed data were analysed, that is raw data (acquired via survey from 1,220 municipalities) and secondary data (from the database of the Local Data Bank). The efficiency of local governments was measured with an aggregate factor EFF, while the level of development was assessed with the DEV measure. The results indicate that the local governments did rather poorly in terms of both efficiency and development. In both cases, the mean value of the applied synthetic measures reached no more than 30% of the maximum attainable score. The basic tools in the research were correlation and regression analysis. Both procedures demonstrated the presence of a relationship between the two analysed categories (r = 0.365). Moreover, the analysis of regression showed that the impact of developmental processes on the improvement of efficiency of local governments was stronger that the influence of improved efficiency on developmental processes occurring in the analysed municipalities.
How to Cite
Wojarska, M., Babuchowska, K., Lizińska, W., & Marks-Bielska, R. (2018). INSTITUTION EFFICIENCY VERSUS THE LEVEL OF DEVELOPMENT OF LOCAL GOVERNMENTS (A STUDY AT THE LEVEL OF POLAND’S REGIONAL DIVISION). Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia, 17(2), 133–144. https://doi.org/10.22630/ASPE.2018.17.2.29
Download data is not yet available.
- Jan Zawadka, THE MOTIVES, PREFERENCES AND TOURIST BEHAVIOR OF POLES PARTICIPATING IN ENOTOURISM TRIPS , Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia: Vol. 17 No. 2 (2018)
You may also start an advanced similarity search for this article.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Roman Kisiel, Wiesława Lizińska, Olga Senyszyn, THE AGRICULTURE TAX SYSTEM AND THE PERSPECTIVE OF ITS CHANGES IN THE OPINION OF FARMERS IN THE WARMIŃSKO- -MAZURSKIE VOIVODESHIP , Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia: Vol. 18 No. 4 (2019)
- Renata Marks-Bielska, Damian Opalach, DIFFERENCES IN THE LEVEL OF ENTREPRENEURSHIP AMONG MUNICIPALITIES OF THE WARMIŃSKO-MAZURSKIE PROVINCE IN POLAND , Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia: Vol. 18 No. 1 (2019)
- Renata Marks-Bielska, Karolina Babuchowska, Wiesława Lizińska, AGRITOURISM AS A FORM OF BUSINESS ACTIVITY IN RURAL AREAS , Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia: Vol. 13 No. 3 (2014)
- Karolina Babuchowska, Roman Kisiel, THE INFLUENCE OF THE COMMUNAL GOVERNMENT ON THE LOCAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, THE CASE STUDY OF WARMIA AND MAZURY PROVINCE , Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia: Vol. 5 No. 2 (2006)
- Renata Marks-Bielska, CONDITIONS UNDERLYING THE REGIONAL DIVERSITY OF THE AREA STRUCTURE OF FARMS IN POLAND , Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia: Vol. 15 No. 4 (2016)
- Karolina Babuchowska, Renata Marks-Bielska, SUPPORTING RURAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP BY RDP 2007–2013 , Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia: Vol. 9 No. 2 (2010)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.