THE ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL JUSTIFICATIONS FOR PUBLIC SPENDING TO AGRICULTURE : THEORETICAL INSIGHTS AND EMPIRICAL OBSERVATIONS
Main Article Content
Keywords : Arable land, Agrarian structure, Common Agricultural Policy (CAP), Institutional economics, Structural changesCoopetition, Cooperation, CompetitionPublic expenditures, Agriculture, Agricultural finance
This paper explores the theoretical justifi cations for public expenditures to support the agriculture sector and farming population. The market failure and welfare rationale for government intervention is contrasted with government failures. In addition to the normative analysis, the paper presents empirical evidence on the level of public agricultural expenditure based on cross-country data with main focus on the European Union countries. The results of own cross-country statistical analysis suggest that per capita costs of EU support to agriculture are only weakly related to the general economic development of the individual countries but this support is relatively more important for the economies of less developed EU members. A look at the findings of the reviewed country studies exploring the link between public expenditure allocated to agriculture and the sector performance reveals that this way to support farming and rural economy may be effective, exerting a positive effect on growth in crop and livestock production, private-sector investments in agriculture and rural and general poverty reduction, but its impact depends on the type of expenditure.
How to Cite
Zawojska, A. (2013). THE ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL JUSTIFICATIONS FOR PUBLIC SPENDING TO AGRICULTURE : THEORETICAL INSIGHTS AND EMPIRICAL OBSERVATIONS. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia, 12(4), 133–143. Retrieved from https://aspe.sggw.edu.pl/article/view/524
Download data is not yet available.
- Maria Golinowska, Michał Kruszyński, ORGANIZATION STRUCTURE IN RELATION TO THE SYSTEM OF INTEGRATED PRODUCTION IN FARMS , Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia: Vol. 12 No. 3 (2013)
You may also start an advanced similarity search for this article.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Aldona Zawojska, Tomasz Siudek, A THEORETICAL AND EMPIRICAL APPROACH TO FOREIGN LABOUR MIGRATION AND EMPLOYMENT: THE CASE OF AGRI-FOOD MIGRANT WORKERS IN DEVELOPED ECONOMIES , Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia: Vol. 20 No. 4 (2021)
- Tomasz Siudek, Aldona Zawojska, COMPETITIVENESS IN THE ECONOMIC CONCEPTS, THEORIES AND EMPIRICAL RESEARCH , Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia: Vol. 13 No. 1 (2014)
- Tomasz Siudek, Aldona Zawojska, OPTIMAL DEPOSIT AND LOAN INTEREST RATES SETTING IN CO-OPERATIVE BANKS , Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia: Vol. 14 No. 3 (2015)
- Aldona Zawojska, Tomasz Siudek, SOCIO-ECONOMIC IMPACTS OF EPIDEMIC DISEASES OF FARM ANIMALS , Acta Scientiarum Polonorum. Oeconomia: Vol. 17 No. 3 (2018)